Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

18 Months Deliberating – Now booked the Bypass!!!!

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » The Pre-op Liver Shrinkage or Milk Diet » 18 Months Deliberating – Now booked the Bypass!!!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chubby girl

Hi to anyone who remembers me. I had my band removed 2.5 years ago and since then have whacked on another couple of stone (in addition to the 3 Id whacked on when the band was still in and I ate round it!!!). Feeling terribly miserable I was desperate to make the right decision this time. I hated my band in the end – if I could have plunged my hands in my body Id have ripped it out BUT luckily UCH did it properly for me.

Bearing that in mind, I wanted to get it abso blooming lutely right this time so Ive travelled up and down the country seeing Bariatric surgeons in Leeds and London including Shaw, and three of them have all said the bypass is the only way for me to go.

I know so many people who’ve had it – im in a semi detached house and even the bloke next door had it 2 years ago and went from 31 stone to about 14!! I run a nanny agency – one of my nanny’s has had it and a good friend of a friend had it last June and has so far lost 11 stone in 9 months. But still I deliberated….

Anyway last night, something went off in my head and I finally KNEW I had to have the bypass. So Im all booked in for the op with Guy on 12th April !!!!!!!!!!!

Now I cant wait and am totally at peace with my decision. Ive been reading all your comments for months on here and Ive taken notice of everything people say. You are all wonderfully helpful and thats another reason I chose Streamline.

So expect lots of questions from me and Id love to hear from anyone but especially people who had the band and now have the bypass ……all advice so gladly received

Love to you all

Chubby Girl – but hopefully not for too much longer !!!!!!!!

Ms Ellie

Hey there chubbs welcome back good for you Im pleased you have decided on having the bypass!

Good luck much love Ellie xxxx

Anonymous

Hello soon to be unchubby girl.

Pleased you have got your head around it all and made the decision.
    I am sure it will be the best decision and you will reap the rewards you desire.

You have been on site reading, gaining the knowledge and now, your ready.
    it could only happen when you were ready…

Its your time sweetheart…your time…

All the best for you op on MY BIRTHDAY.
    I dont mind sharing this date to celebrate when I am sharing it with such a worthy cause…
    We can party together…lol…

Have a fantastic journey.

Buzz xx

Its good you took 18 months to reach your decision and have a really good think about it all.
    However after reading your (very honest) post the one question i would ask you is
    IF you ate around your band (and gained 3 stone) what WILL STOP you from doing the same thing with your bypass???
    Because although at first you simply cant after a few months in you certainly can
    and your previous behaviour indicates that perhaps IF you CAN then you WILL???
    Please don’t think I am judging you-not at all Im just on the other side of this and i have had both band and bypass(as many others have) and its so hard when weight losses stop and you can eat anything again
    WHAT WILL STOP YOU THIS TIME?

chubby girl

Hi i really appreciate you replying and im desperate for info like this. can you eat round the bypass then?????? youre the first person ive heard say you can. Ive just been for my pre op and to be honest im now in a total quandary. It just seems like such mutilation of the body. Sorry if that offends anyone as I have nothing but total admiration for anyone who has had it. Im not a wimp and dont mind operations but theres something about ‘needing to be on vitamins for life’ as will never be able to get enough nutrients in that just seems WRONG. And thats just the start – Im am so confused. Im going to talk to a couple of people who’ve had it over the weekend and then if im still in this much of a pickle, I will contact Una asap as my op is due a week tuesday.

im so grateful for your honesty xxxxxxx

thank you because whenever i post it is ALWAYS with total honesty as I wish that I had had such honest info pre op.
    I want to say up front though whatever I say is ONLY MY OWN experience and everyone reacts and therefore loses stops and even gains weight post bypass at different rates.
    In time your small pouch will stretch again approx 18 months out then you can eat bigger portions again
    Also dumping syndrome stops so sweets fats etc can be introduced this can slow and stop and even reverse weight loss
    which although still eating small amounts you can do it all day long therefore intake too many calories SAME AS BEFORE
    THese wonderful surgeons ONLY OPERATE on the anatomy NOT THE MIND-and with most compulsive obese over eaters its
    another hunger we are trying to fill with food.
    I overate to self soothe myself from loneliness
    food was my comfort
    now my biggest problem is figuring out WHAT do I do and HOW do I cope when food is no longer there???
    Also I really thought i would be able to lose ALL my excess weight but actually although some do a lot of ”morbidly obese” patients often stop at 100lbs and still have 100=150lbs to lose and my self I still have to diet strictly or I gain weight
    and I am still 18st with a bmi of 40
    THIS HAS BEEN MY BIGGEST SHOCK
    its not easy I am 27 months out now
    and I HAVE TO SAY
    I WOULD HAVE A BYPASS AGAIN 2MORROW!!!
    I would NEVER have a band again though.
    Strict diet excersize and vitamins EVERYDAY for the rest of my life
    but without bypass I would be dead as I was almost 31st and bmi of almost 70
    It is very hard when you see people who had a bypass just a few months ago and already have lost more than me after slogging away for 27 months
    but you just have to remember WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT
    and I watch with interest 5 6 7 years out and see what the long term results are
    you will notice no one posts who is that far out?????
    YOU DO RIGHT TO CONSIDER ALL YOUR OPTIONS
    My friend has a 17 year old daughter who is having surgery soon
    and Im horrified for her cause I know I couldnt have lived like this with this level of willpower from teens 20’s 30′ 40’s
    I am 50 now and menopausal so that probably doesnt help my weight loss either
    Iguess what i am trying to dsay is that if I ate what I can eat(& and often WANT to eat) as the desire for foods dont go away-well actually they do in first 18 months then they return and if i ate what I can now
    I would gain approx 1 st per month
    and that scares me shitless xxx

chubby girl

Hi stilltryingso hard. I have just read your message twice. thank you so much for taking the time. Im very similar to you now -weight wise amd bmi wise – and thats one of my other problems – i dont feel fat enough for the bypass but Marco assured me at the presentation that i was!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that put me in my place. I am going to chat to two people over the weekend – one person from this wonderful forum and also a nanny ive placed who’s had it, and hopefully they can put my mind to rest!!!!

I know I need the op and im sure I will reap the benefits but I know my mother would be horrified and the fact I dont want to tell her also worries me – am i ashamed of this? im normally up front about everything and if i know something is right i will fight tooth and nail to get people to agree with me. With this I know I will agree with all her reservations!!!!!!!!!!

Im a gemini which doesnt help – we change our minds left right and centre anyway!! I felt so sure of this last week and now Im not at all – bizarrely following the pre op when Elaine was lovely but its the paperwork thats filled me with reservation.

I dont want to eat soup out of a ramekin !!!!!!!! Oh I shall just take my confused self off to bed. Can anyone tell me if this level of uncertainty is normal or whether it means I shouldnt go ahead??? Answers on a postcard ……….xxxxx

Jaysee

Right up until the day of my surgery I was thinking ‘do I really want to ‘mutilate’ my insides in such a way that Ill never feel ‘normal’ again. My family, especially my sister and my eldest son, were very worried and said they didnt want me to have it done. I adore food, I dont eat for comfort, I eat (or ate) because I simply love eating and never feel satisfied. The thing is, my weight was stopping me enjoying everything else life has to offer. Yes, its major surgery, but think of the bad things all that excess weight is doing to your body, and the possibility of having to have joint replacements, diabetes, possibly even heart problems if you dont do something about it – theres also the fact that you may even be refused that treatment because you are too overweight (that happened to me). Thats far worse than having a bypass!!
    Im almost 5 weeks post op now, the time has flown – I have no pain, didnt even need paracetamol in hospital and the staff of Streamline are WONDERFUL! Im a bit fed up with soup but at 5 weeks Im now able to have more options foodwise, each day gets a little better. It isnt easy at all, and I do worry that once the honeymoon period is over Ill start to overeat again, but half the battle is recognising when you are, getting help, and as Stilltryingsohard is doing, NEVER EVER give up.
    The bypass is a fantastic tool for helping you to shed a lot of weight, I dont regret having it for a moment – I have the odd craving for things I can no longer eat but they pass, its not your body craving them, its your brain, and thats the hardest thing to train unfortunately. You will learn and be amazed that your body actually needs very little to survive and function normally. You are perfectly normal in having doubts, we all do, but Ive not heard of a single person (and Ive read hundreds of forums, blogs etc) who regrets having it done. Its the kindest thing to do for yourself if you are obese – god I hate that word ‘obese’! Even if you dont lose all of your excess weight, what you do lose will improve your life and health such a lot and there is so much support out there if you need it. Concentrate on all the positives of losing weight and they far outweigh the negative things like getting bored with soup for a few weeks!! Its a small price to pay for years of being healthier and happier.
    Im rambling now LOL……good luck hon, we are all here for you.
    Jules xxx Oh, and by the way, I feel perfectly ‘normal’ and in no way mutilated LOL !! 🙂

This is the best post I have read for a very long time-full of truths and good ols common sense(which actually is not so common lol!!!)
    gr8 post jules xxxx
    @Jaysee 13765 wrote:

Right up until the day of my surgery I was thinking ‘do I really want to ‘mutilate’ my insides in such a way that Ill never feel ‘normal’ again. My family, especially my sister and my eldest son, were very worried and said they didnt want me to have it done. I adore food, I dont eat for comfort, I eat (or ate) because I simply love eating and never feel satisfied. The thing is, my weight was stopping me enjoying everything else life has to offer. Yes, its major surgery, but think of the bad things all that excess weight is doing to your body, and the possibility of having to have joint replacements, diabetes, possibly even heart problems if you dont do something about it – theres also the fact that you may even be refused that treatment because you are too overweight (that happened to me). Thats far worse than having a bypass!!
    Im almost 5 weeks post op now, the time has flown – I have no pain, didnt even need paracetamol in hospital and the staff of Streamline are WONDERFUL! Im a bit fed up with soup but at 5 weeks Im now able to have more options foodwise, each day gets a little better. It isnt easy at all, and I do worry that once the honeymoon period is over Ill start to overeat again, but half the battle is recognising when you are, getting help, and as Stilltryingsohard is doing, NEVER EVER give up.
    The bypass is a fantastic tool for helping you to shed a lot of weight, I dont regret having it for a moment – I have the odd craving for things I can no longer eat but they pass, its not your body craving them, its your brain, and thats the hardest thing to train unfortunately. You will learn and be amazed that your body actually needs very little to survive and function normally. You are perfectly normal in having doubts, we all do, but Ive not heard of a single person (and Ive read hundreds of forums, blogs etc) who regrets having it done. Its the kindest thing to do for yourself if you are obese – god I hate that word ‘obese’! Even if you dont lose all of your excess weight, what you do lose will improve your life and health such a lot and there is so much support out there if you need it. Concentrate on all the positives of losing weight and they far outweigh the negative things like getting bored with soup for a few weeks!! Its a small price to pay for years of being healthier and happier.
    Im rambling now LOL……good luck hon, we are all here for you.
    Jules xxx Oh, and by the way, I feel perfectly ‘normal’ and in no way mutilated LOL !! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media